- UNDERSTAND THE SOUND LEVELS OF THE NOISES IN YOUR ENVIRONMENT Check out the common sounds depicted on this graph. Lawnmowers, live music, motorcycles, helicopters and airplanes typically all exceed the maximum sound level (85 dB) for exposure without hearing protection.
- LEARN ABOUT PROPER EAR PROTECTION Keep sound blocking headphones or ear plugs handy at concerts, loud sporting events or when near a running motor. This is especially important for young children. We have ear plugs available at our clinic!
- TAKE A BREAK Take breaks if exposed to loud noise for a long period of time. How do you know if a sound is too loud? • If you have to keep raising your voice just to communicate with someone near you • If the noise hurts your ears • If you get buzzing or ringing in your ears during or after noise exposure • If you can’t hear normally for hours after noise exposure.
- KEEP THE VOLUME DOWN Keep volumes low-medium on personal devices when using headphones. There are headphones on the market that have maximum volumes preset to the 80-85dB level. These predetermined maximum volumes keep young ears safe no matter how high children turn the volume up at the source of the sound.
- TV & VIDEO GAME VOLUME Turn down the television and video games to lowest level they can be heard.
- TURN DOWN THE VOLUME IN THE CAR Small spaces and loud music can cause damage to hearing.
- KNOW THE SIGNS OF HEARING LOSS For signs of hearing loss in babies and children, please visit the following site: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hearingloss/facts.html.
- KNOW THE VOLUME OF YOUR CHILD’S TOYS Buy quiet toys and/or keep toys at the lowest volume level.
- CLOSE DOORS AND WINDOWS AGAINST LOUD ENVIRONMENTAL NOISES IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD Also, put physical distance between you and loud noise when it is present. If possible, stand at an angle from the noise, not directly in front of it.
- CONSIDER YOUR APPLIANCES’ VOLUME LEVEL When buying appliances consider noise ratings for different items.
If you would like to learn more about the SUSAN L. COHN & ASSOCIATES TEAM, you can click here.
SUSAN L. COHN & ASSOCIATES
710 NW Juniper Street Suite 108
Issaquah WA 98027
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT